(A repost from an event invite on Facebook)
The third Gabii sa Kabilin (Night of Heritage) will happen at 6p.m.-12 m.n. on May 29. The event is the only one of its kind in Asia and the Philippines offered once-a-year for one night when participating museums showcase their collections beyond their operating hours. This wholesome event is usually participated by families and friends, students and professionals, the young and old.
The Gabii sa Kabilin was conceptualized by the Ramon Aboitiz Foundation, Inc.’s Cultural Heritage Program for the locals, especially the children, as well as tourists to understand and appreciate Cebuano history and culture. Also, the event coincides with the National Heritage Month and the International Museum Day during the month of May.
This year’s run of the event will continue to showcase the same activities as well as introduce new experiences, such as:
· Multiple entrances, from 6 p.m. to 12 m.n., to six museums (Casa Gorordo Museum, Yap-Sandiego Ancestral House, Cathedral Museum of Cebu, Basilica del Santo Niño Museum, Fort San Pedro and Museo Sugbu) in the downtown area for only Php 100.00
· Special exhibits will also be showcased (such as the Casa Gorordo Museum’s exhibit on Bishop Juan Gorordo’s, first Cebuano bishop, 100th Anniversary as Bishop of Cebu
· Multiple tartanilla rides around the downtown museum belt for only Php 50.00
· Walking heritage tours (with the guides in costume) around the old Cebu area offered
· Live performances of music and dances (where audience participation is encouraged) as well as poetry and play at each of the museums
· Cebuano food and delicacies as well Cebuano arts and crafts are showcased and sold at certain venues
· The downtown museum belt route will be specially illuminated by VECO
· For safety, the route will be manned by the Cebu City Tourist Police
We hope to meet you or your representative/s to the press con of this growing tradition in the Cebuano cultural scene.
I got my Gabii sa Kabilin 2009 tickets reserved by calling Casa Gorordo 418 7234 local 532.